9.12.2012

Leaders of the PACK: Getting to Know Frank Beasley



Here's today's interview with Coach Frank Beasley:

Q: What made you decide to be a college wrestling coach?
A: I love the sport of wrestling and enjoy sharing my knowledge.  I have a passion for the sport and for coaching.  When I finished college, I immediately became a college coach as I had always been involved in coaching camps, clinics, and clubs.  I had the opportunity to coach at my Alma Mater while earning my Master's degree.  I really developed a passion for coaching and had a great mentor.  Ultimately the thing that motivated me to be a college coach is the fact that I did not accomplish all of my goals in college and I wanted to help others achieve theirs.

Q: What is your favorite style of wrestling to coach? Why?
A: I like to coach all three - freestyle, Greco-Roman, and folkstyle.  Folkstyle is my favorite of the three.  I find it the most exciting and really like the mat wrestling component of the sport.

Q: What is your most memorable moment as a coach?
A: My most memorable moment as a coach was coaching my first All-American.  In my first year as a coach, I was the personal coach for Mike Spaid (HWT, Bloomsburg).  I'll never forget his multiple overtime match to earn All-America honors.  He was the first All-American at the school in 14 years and it was a very exciting moment for everyone involved.

Q: When did you start wrestling as a kid and who pushed you the most throughout your career?
A: I started wrestling when I was ten years old in January of 1995.  I fell in love with the sport right away and couldn't get enough of it.  I started wrestling year round from the beginning. I was very self-motivated throughout my career so I pushed myself more than anyone else.  I had several great coaches and teammates who pushed me as well.  My parents didn't push me at a young age because they wanted me to enjoy the sport; however, they taught me the work ethic necessary to be successful and that nothing is worth doing if you don't give it 100% of your effort.

Q: What is your favorite wrestling movie?
A: Reversal - there are some great one-liners.  Also, watch the part where "Johnny" breaks his arm - classic.

Q: Who is your favorite professional sports team:
A: I'm not a huge sports fan.  I follow the sport of wrestling closely at all levels.  When I watch football, I root for the Indianapolis Colts & for baseball, the St. Louis Cardinals.  These were the closest teams to me growing up.  I don't follow basketball but would say the Phoenix Suns since that is the only professional game I've been to when visiting my brother.  My favorite hockey team is the Buffalo Sabres as I went to several of their games when I was at Buffalo.

Q: What is your favorite TV Show?
A: Eastbound & Down

Q: What is the last book you've read?
A: Wrestling is Life: A Novel (fiction)
    The Art of War (non-fiction)
    Terry Funk: More than just Hardcore (currently reading)

Q: What is your favorite food?
A: Cottage cheese - I can eat it with anything

Q: What is your favorite Raleigh-area restaurant so far?
A: Brasa Steak House - how can you go wrong with an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse?

To view Coach Beasley's official GoPack biography, click here.

Assistant Coach Jamill Kelly will be featured tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment