9.17.2012

Leaders of the PACK: Getting to Know Quinton Godley


Check out today's interview with Student Assistant Quinton Godley:

Q: What made you decide to be a college wrestling coach?
A: Well I'm not officially a college coach, but I do not mind being part of that category.  I decided to volunteer my time this year with the team because having a familiar face in the room every now and then may bring comfort to some of the guys that were here the year before; however, I'm willing to spread my knowledge about the sport - the way I was taught and still learning - any way possible.

Q: What is your favorite style of wrestling to coach? Why?
A: Folkstyle is the only style I wrestle and I know more about that, therefore it's my favorite style to coach.

Q: What is your most memorable moment as a coach?As a wrestler?
A: Again, I'm new to coaching, but from what I have already experienced, the guys' eagerness/willingness to learn the sport at the college level is just astonishing and motivates me beyond explanation.  My most memorable moment as a wrestler was my senior year, after knocking off two ranked guys ahead of me, I faced my last ranked victim before ACCs & Nationals.  This wrestler was ranked extremely high and the match came down to mentality - which to me is 99% of the game.

Q: When did you start wrestling as a kid and who pushed you the most throughout your career?
A: I first started wrestling my sophomore year in high school.  Unfortunately, I didn't start before then, but again the sport is 99% mental and if it I had anything, it was mentality and it's still running.  My high school coach Dennis Marshall is the main reason I was able to wrestle here at NC State and was the person who pushed me the hardest throughout my high school career; he pushed my team and I to the edge but pushed me a little extra because I guess he thought I had potential.  As I got to college, Dennis Marshall was more so my main motivation - I refused to let him down.  I met Noel Loban when I got here and he was the person who pushed me throughout my college career & two years later was accompanied by Lee Pritts.

Q: What is your favorite wrestling movie?
A: This is a good question but I don't have a favorite wrestling movie and have not seen many.  The only wrestling movie I have seen, and a little embarrassed to mention, is "Going to the Mat."

Q: Who is your favorite professional sports team:
A: Football: CAROLINA PANTHERS ALL DAY!
    Basketball: Don't have a favorite team but pull for the Miami Heat most of the time.

Q: What is your favorite TV Show?
A: My favorite TV show is Jamie Foxx & SpongeBob Square Pants is my favorite "cartoon" show - don't judge, it relaxes me!

Q: What is the last book you've read?
A: Code of the Streets by Elijah Anderson.  I'm currently reading the Holy Bible but that will take me a while.

Q: What is your favorite food?
A: I love answering this question because people become so appalled when I tell them, but my favorite food is chitterlings.  What do you expect from a down south breed?

Q: What is your favorite Raleigh-area restaurant so far?
A: My favorite restaurant, whether in Raleigh or anywhere else is Applebee's, mainly because of their 2 for $20 deal & they also have great desserts.

Our last interview with the coaching staff will be tomorrow with Volunteer Assistant Noel Loban.


No comments:

Post a Comment