9.13.2012

Leaders of the PACK: Getting to Know Jamill Kelly



Here's today's interview with Coach Jamill Kelly:

Q: What made you decide to be a college wrestling coach?
A: I wanted to have the ability to help kids achieve their goals on and off the mat.  Having been an athlete myself, I know how important a role coaches play in an athlete's life.

Q: What is your favorite style of wrestling to coach? Why?
A: Obviously in the US we are coaching folkstyle the majority of the time. I like to coach freestyle because of the chess match it involves - a lot more tactics and strategy. As a coach I feel it challenges me a bit more having to deal with so many different styles from other countries.

Q: What is your most memorable moment as a coach? As an athlete?
A: As a coach, helping Boris Novachcov bounce back from a disappointing loss in the quarterfinals of NCAAs and having him come back and get 3rd place and ending his career with a victory.  Although it wasn't what he wanted, I was happy to see him bounce back and finish third. As an athlete, making the Olympic team was obviously a dream come true.

Q: When did you start wrestling as a kid and who pushed you the most throughout your career?
A:  I started wrestling my freshman year in high school after my freshman football coach talked me in to giving it a try.  He pushed me throughout my high school career and I wouldn't be where I am without him.  Obviously John Smith played a pivotal role in my career after having a disappointing college career he still kept me working and believed in me that I could do better.

Q: Who is your favorite professional sports team:
A: I'm more of a college sports fan.

Q: What is your favorite TV Show?
A: It varies, but I've always liked watching Law & Order

Q: What is the last book you've read?
A: The Alchemist

Q: What is your favorite food?
A: Steak

Q: What is your favorite Raleigh-area restaurant so far?
A: The Flying Biscuit

To view Coach Kelly's official GoPack biography, click here.

Director of Operations Jeff Breese will be featured tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment